The event at Apple Store last Sunday was a success thanks to all the audience and to organizer Motty! Below is a summary of my talk with some useful links.
Characteristics of the podcast format
- A podcast is an RSS feed which includes links to audio or video files attached to every post.
- Unlike radio or TV, podcasts aren’t broadcast live.
- Once downloaded, a podcast episode can be watched as many times as wanted.
- Many audio podcasts take the radio format as a reference.
- Video podcasts are shorter because of more costly editing and watchers needing to concentrate in watching.
- If you subscribe using iTunes or other podcast-friendly software, new episodes will be automatically downloaded.
Making your podcast
- Escucha español is edited using iMovie.
- I recommend a short opening sequence, or people will get bored.
- Also try to cut boring or slow parts so you get a good tempo.
- Pay attention when using music and sound effects so you don’t have copyright problems.
- Use resources with permissive licenses such as Creative Commons.
- Compress the video. For Escucha español we use MPEG Streamclip.
Distributing your podcast
- Just by uploading the file to your server and linking it from your blog you would have a podcast.
- You can also use one of the services that will host your podcast. For Escucha español we use blip.tv
- YouTube doesn’t work for podcasts as it won’t allow people to download videos, but it’s still worth it to upload your episode and embed it in the podcast’s blog.
- Treat well anyone spreading the word about your podcast on their blog, Twitter or Facebook.
- Join events, or organize one every now and then.
My favorite podcasts